Fortaleza Santa Catarina (do Cabedelo)
|Around 1586, when Portugal and Spain were unified under one crown, the Portuguese built a small square fortification, Santa Catarina, on the strategic point of Cabedelo. After an unsuccessful attack in 1631, the Dutch conquered the fort in 1634, rebuilt it to a large extent and renamed it Margaretha. In 1654, after twenty years of Dutch rule, the fort again fell into Portuguese hands. The Dutch fort had a different ground plan and entrance from the present situation. In fact, after 1654, the Portuguese restyled the fort in stone around the Dutch ground plan, moving the gate to the landward side.|
You should have flash installed to see this.
|1580-1586 Spain and Portugal are unified under one crown. 1586-1591 When the Capitania of Paraiba is funded, Frutoso Barbosa builds the small fortification São Felipe, later Santa Catarina, on the strategic point of Cabedelo, in order to defend the conquered region from Indians and European invaders. He builds the fort by order of the Spanish general Diogo Flores Valdes and Cristovão Lintz, a German engineer, is appointed to construct it. To build the fort, 110 Spanish knights from Olinda are employed as well as more then 700 Indians and 100 black slaves. Some records in fact, do relate the fort of Santa Catarina do Cabedelo to the fort of São Felipe and São Tiago, but nothing confirms that it could be the same fortress. 1591-1592 During the administration of Andre de Albuquerque, Indians and French corsairs attacks destroy the fort. 1592-1597 The fort is rebuilt. 1597-1603 A French attempt to conquer the fort fails. The fort is named Santa Catarina after the Portuguese Duchess Dona Catarina de Bragança, but is also known as Forte de Matos, this in honour of its second commander, João de Matos Cardoso. 1603-1609 The fort was rebuilt with the aid of the municipal council (camâra). 1609-1618 According to Diogo de Campos Moreno, the fort was situated on a sandbank and was built of wood and taipa (a mixture of mud and straw). As this required a constant maintenance and supply of these materials every four years, he therefore suggested that the fort had to be built of limestone instead. The fort, founded by Feliciano Coelho de Carvalho, had a captain, a second lieutenant, a sergeant and other officers, besides 20 musketeers. 1618-1631 During the government of Antonio de Albuquerque the fort was restored, according to the map of the engenheiro-môr Francisco de Farias de Mesquita (engineer). 1631-1634 A first Dutch attack on the fort fails. They are forced to retreat. Nevertheless, during the siege, the Dutch erect some fortifications around Cabedelo. The Dutch attack destroys the old fort to a large extent. After this event, the fort is rebuilt with four bulwarks, with trenches on the landside and a ditch/moat filled by seawater. Ramparts were made of torrão e faxina, according to Frei Paulo do Rosario, and not of stone blocks as mentioned in Mota Menezes. The fort had a square shape and its entrance was made possible by a drawbridge, which led to a passageway / corridor. It was constantly reinforced with cannons and guns in order to be prepared for a following Dutch attack, which was not long in coming.|